Oracle vs. Informix (Stored Procedures)

From: <danthehorn_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:36:36 GMT

I have worked with Informix many years. I am new to Oracle and I am trying to do something in Oracle that can easily be done in Informix. I can't seem to find the capability in Oracle without building a table.

Here is the example:

In Informix one can do the following (no syntax check):

CREATE PROCEDURE series (base INTEGER, high INTEGER)

              RETURNING INTEGER;     DEFINE series_num INTEGER;

    FOR series_num = base TO high STEP 1

            RETURN series_num;
    END FOR END PROCEDURE In ESQL/C one can use the procedure as follows:

$char str[1024];
$long num;

$str = "EXECUTE PROCEDURE series(?, ?)";
$PREPARE series_id FOR $str;
$DECLARE series_curs FROM series_id;

$OPEN series_curs USING 1, 50;

$FETCH series_curs INTO $num;

         while ( sqlca.sqlcode == 0 ) {
                 printf("%d\n", num);
                 $FETCH series_curs INTO $num;
         }

How can I declare a procedure or function in Oracle that returns a set of values that can be accessed though a cursor in Perl or Pro*C ?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Aug 30 2000 - 12:36:36 CDT