Re: Auto Logoff / Limit User Connections ????

From: <ginupfruit_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 20:16:33 GMT

Would the solution offered by Howard work, if I want to make sure that the users logoff before they shutdown there computers? I just don't want alot of session from users that forgot to log off the database to tie up the system later on as i run the back up. I also dont want to manually close the session or log them off. Thanks

In article <398ce3d2_at_news.iprimus.com.au>,   "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
>
> Sounds like you need to create a profile.
>
> Or, perhaps, given that you sound like you haven't used these before,
 and
> therefore all your Users will be sitting there in possession of the
> Profile, it's time to edit the Default Profile.
>
> Two profile settings will do what you are after. SESSIONS_PER_USER
 will
> (hopefully obviously!) prevent any User who has been given the
 relevant
> profile from connecting more than the specified number of times to the
 same
> Instance. And CONNECT_TIME governs how long a session may be
 connected
> before it is terminated (and is measured in minutes -so if you want to
 allow
> a generous 10 hours of connection time, you'd set CONNECT_TIME to 600
> minutes).
>
> So, you can either create anew profile thus:
> CREATE PROFILE NEWONE LIMIT
> SESSIONS_PER_USER 1
> CONNECT_TIME 600;
>
> Then you have to do this: ALTER USER MARY PROFILE NEWONE; (and so on
 for all
> your Users.
>
> Or, if you don't think you've used profiles before, then all your
 Users will
> probably be sitting there with the Default Profile. So instead of
 creating
> a new profile, just edit the default, like this:
>
> ALTER PROFILE DEFAULT LIMIT
> SESSIONS_PER_USER 1
> CONNECT_TIME 600;
>
> In either case, note that profiles are totally unenforced until you
> specifically 'switch them on'. The quick fix is to issue the command
 "Alter
> system set resource_limit=TRUE;", but that only enables them for the
> lifetime of the Instance. So to ensure that profiles are enforced
 every
> time you bounce your Instance, you need to add the line
> "RESOURCE_LIMIT=TRUE" to your init.ora.
> .
> Just watch out when limiting things like Connect Time -the User's
 session
> will be terminated when s/he hits the specified number of minutes,
 whether
> or not s/he is in the middle of some important update or other -and
 hence,
> you risk their pending transactions being rolled back, which might not
 make
> you the most popular DBA of their acquaintence!
>
> For that reason, I sometimes suggest setting (either as well as or
 instead
> of!) IDLE_TIME in the profile. That is measured in minutes, and will
> terminate a session if the User's Server Process has been sitting
 there idle
> for the relevant amount of time. A common setting I've used a fair
 bit is
> IDLE_TIME=120 (ie, two hours). Given that an idle server process is
> genuinely sitting there doing nothing, it suggest that the User isn't
 really
> doing anything terribly important either, so in some ways it is
 perhaps a
> little 'safer' to set than plain old CONNECT_TIME. On the other hand,
 if a
> User starts a transaction, then leaves for lunch with the thing
 uncommitted,
> it is again possible to discover upon return from lunch that the
 session has
> been terminated -because the server process was sitting there doing
 nothing
> during lunch too!
>
> Incidentally, DBA_USERS will tell you what profiles are attached to
 each
> User of your system.
>
> Hope that is of some use,
> HJR
>
> "Chuck Rizzio" <carizzio_at_snet.net> wrote in message
> > I have two questions...
> >
> > We are running Oracle Applications version 10.7 Smart Client.
 Datavase
> > version - 7.3.4.5.
> >
> > First, we have users who constantly leave at the end of the day
 without
> > loggin out of Oracle Apps. Frequently, they leave records on their
 screens
> > causing locks which prevent other processes from accessing the data.
 Is
> > there any way to institute automatic logoff where we can set some
 time
 limit
> > (i.e. 30 minutes) of inactivity to terminate the connection?
> >
> > Second, we have users that insist on running more than once
 "instance" of
> > the client. They claim that need to in order to do their jobs.
 They need
> > access to data in different areas (i.e. customer data and purchasing
 data)
> > and say that having to use one session and go from one are to
 another
 takes
> > too long. Is there a way to limit a user to only one connection
 frome
> > either the same machine or for the user logon?
> >
> > Please reply to my email address (carizzio_at_hotmail.com) as well as
 the
> > newsgroup as I don't get here very often. Thanks.
> >
> > Chuck

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Aug 30 2000 - 15:16:33 CDT