Re: svrmgrl needs OracleService<SID> on NT, not an Oracle Instance

From: <dong_liu62_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 21:20:49 GMT

    I tried your suggestion, but got a TNS error.     I am running Oracle 8.1.6 on NT 4 workstation. Right after reboot, OracleOraHome81TNSListener service is started, while OracleService<SID> is NOT started.

    According to your suggestion, I set the environment variable, and run svrmgrl. The error message is:

Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.6.0.0 - Production Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved. ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

    I also tried sqlplus to verify. The error message is:

ERROR:
ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

    So far, the only way I can run svrmgrl/sqlplus to execute "startup nomount" is to first de-couple OracleService<SID> service and Oracle Instance startup in Oracle Administration Assistant, start OracleService<SID> service, then run svrmgrl/sqlplus. Output is:

J:\>sqlplus
SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production on Tue Aug 29 17:03:11 2000 (c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: internal
Connected to an idle instance.

SQL> startup nomount
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 69199116 bytes

Fixed Size                    70924 bytes
Variable Size              40484864 bytes
Database Buffers           28565504 bytes
Redo Buffers                  77824 bytes

    I found that on my machine, it is not necessary to set up ORACLE_SID as an environment variable, and ORACLE_SID is not defined in Control Panel > system. It is defined in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0. Oracle software packages should be clever enough to find it.

    I wonder what OracleService<SID> does other than start up the Oracle Instance if set up to do so, and what program interacts with Oracle Listener to set up a server process. Anyone to push Oracle to publish the source code like Linux and Sun Solaris? We can always dream.

                               Dong Liu

In article <39aa881b.246216410_at_news>,
  See Message body for real address wrote:
> If you set an environment variable to the Instance's sid ( the last
 part of the
> OracleService<sid>) then
> connect internal
> startup nomount and all other svrmgrl connection stuff wil use that
 info....

> Example:
> CMDPROMPT_E:>set ORACLE_SID=orcl
> CMDPROMPT_E:>svrmgrl

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Aug 29 2000 - 16:20:49 CDT