Re: I need an honest opinion

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 13:57:37 GMT

I will agree with Brian. Which set of drivers work better depends on the application, the version of the drivers, and the version of the database you are trying to connect to. The MS drivers do seem to be faster than Oracle's but some applications will only work with one set or the other for some, unknown to me, reason and you may find that if you put two odbc applications on the same machine that one will need to use one set of drivers and the other will need to use the other set.

In article <39ABB74F.F1BC15BA_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>,   Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote:
> Paul,
>
> What ODBC driver was your application developed with? I'd start there.
> If it's a third party application, then which driver does the
> manufacturer recommend and/or support?
>
> Personally, I've had much better success with Oracle's drivers than
> Microsoft's drivers. But I've heard of stories where Intersolv drivers
> work the best! Unfortunately, Intersolv drivers cost money and
 Oralce's
> & Microsoft's drivers are free.
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> "Paul C." wrote:
> >
> > I am getting some conflicting information that requires
 clarification. What
> > do you think about the Oracle 7 ODBC drivers in comparison to
 Microsoft for
> > Oracle drivers? Several sources have advised that the later is a
 better
> > choice. The reason I ask is because I am having an issue with some
 special
> > software that requires connectivity to an Oracle 8.0 D.B. on a
 local NT
> > server. The app crashes at least twice a day. And I was told that
 highly
> > suspect are the ODBC drivers especially if the app was developed
 with the MS
> > drivers. (I do not know this for sure) What do you think?
> > Paul C.
> > Pcampjax_at_mediaone.net
>
> --
> Brian Peasland
> Raytheons Systems at
> USGS EROS Data Center
> These opinions are my own and do not
> necessarily reflect the opinions of my
> company!

Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.