Easy data types question - free format text

From: Simon Rawson <simon_at_microz.com.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:07:19 +1000

Hi,

I'm converting an Access database into Oracle and need advice on suitable data types to replace a memo field.

The maximum length I expect to see is about 4000 characters, however it is free format text so I have to code it a little defensively.

I understand that the long type would be most suitable, however this is an obsolete type according to the doco.

Can anyone help with a recommendation and of so are there limitations on the use of the type recommended, particularly when using text searches in a select statement using like clauses etc.

Thanks in advance,
Simon Rawson Received on Tue Aug 29 2000 - 23:07:19 CDT