Re: svrmgrl needs OracleService<SID> on NT, not an Oracle Instance

From: <dong_liu62_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:01:39 GMT

    Thanks for your response to my message.     In my last message, I am not concerned about normal operation of Oracle database, but trying to respond to Francis Wong's question about using svrmgrl to manually start a Oracle instance on NT, like "startup nomount."

    Could you please try it on your NT machine, not only reading the manual? I definitely want to know if there is another way to let svrmgrl or sqlplus to "connect as internal," and "startup nomount," without de-coupling the OracleService<SID> and the Oracle database instance.

    You are right in that svrmgrl is merged with sqlplus. I have found out and switched to sqlplus. As to the difference of "merge of two" vs. "discontinue one," it is too syntactical. If A manager of a factory shift a job responsibility from worker A to worker B, he does not think that job responsibility or functionality is on the way out. But the worker A will definitely think his job is on the way out. Simply ask any US labor union why they want to strike while customer can still use phones and receive mail packages.

    I digress. Oracle on NT issue is even less related to the topic. Nobody questions the percentage of Oracle of the whole database market. The question is how good is Oracle/NT combination. I prefer the hard number about how many Oracle databases are run on Solaris, Linux, NT, for what role, and what specific problems and issues exist for Oracle on these platforms?

    Look forward to your ideas.

                                          Dong Liu

In article <967241565.8734.1.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,   "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> Did you ever read the Installation and User Guide and the Getting
 Started
> manual?
> If you did, you seem to have difficulty understanding it.
> OracleService<SID> *is* the instance, the instance is implemented in
 the
> form of a service.
> You also didn't seem to have found the oradim utility to start and
 instance
> *and* database, and the lsnrctl utility to start the listener.
> Simply set both services to automatic and don't bother about them.
> svrmgrl will be merged with sqlplus. It's not on the way out.
> I have to laugh loudly about your assertion Oracle on NT is not used
 for
> serious production work. It is used for that all the time, it's only
 limits
> being the limits of NT.
> Don't you think that if the products really works the way you
 describe it
> would have been long withdrawn?
>
> Regards,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Aug 28 2000 - 10:01:39 CDT