Re: how to set up oracle user ( begginer question)

From: Martin Hepworth <maxsec_at_totalise.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:19:22 +0100

jkucharski_at_altavista.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an oracle database on solaris installed by oracle user.
>
> Now how can I create a new user who will be able to execute only certain
> commands from /oracle..../bin ( e.g. run sqlplus )
>
> Is it better to create a group which will have these provileges ( how ) ?
> An then assign a user to this group ?
> I already have a group called DBA ( but this group is too powerfull for
> the new user to be in ).
>
> This user also has to have the PATH to be set up ( i think .profile will
> take care of it ).
>
> I am quite ignorant at the moment how to do this.
>
> Please any suggestions and pointers to books will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Jan
> jkucharski_at_altavista.net

Hi

as a previous poster has pointed out..there are two ways of accesssing Oracle.

  1. login to Unix then access Oracle using a completely seperate Oracle Account.
  2. from A.N.Other machine and login directly to Oracle without touching Unix login.

Assuming 1) is how your user will be operating then just make sure $ORACLE_HOME/bin is in the path and $ORACLE_HOME/lib is in the $LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Martin Received on Fri Aug 25 2000 - 08:19:22 CDT