svrmgrl needs OracleService<SID> on NT, not an Oracle Instance

From: <dong_liu62_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 16:52:57 GMT

    I just found out how to use svrmgrl to start up an Oracle instance on NT after several weeks frustration.

    Oracle 8i on NT uses a special feature of NT, service. NT service is basically a shell that starts a program automatically when NT is started, or rebooted.

    From Control Panel > Services, you can find OracleService<SID>, Oracle<Ora_Home>TNSListener, among others. Oracle<Ora_Home>TNSListener has the default of "automatic", which means it is started whenever NT is started. So usually it has "Status" of "Started." OracleService<SID> has the default of "manual", which means you have to highlight it and click "Start."

    TNSListener allows you to connect to databases on local machine or on other machine.

    OracleService<SID> is more subtle. It controls the Oracle instance on local machine, but its behavior can be adjusted by "Oracle Administration Assistant on Windows NT", a java program launched from Oracle > Database Administration group. Right click on the <SID> icon under databases in the Microsoft Management Console, and choose "Startup/shutdown options." The default settings are "Startup instance when service is started", and "Shutdown instance when service is stopped."

    It seems that TNSListener needs OracleService<SID> to start an Oracle Server Process, then the client, like svrmgrl can talk directly with the server process to perform tasks.

    If the Oracle is in production mode, I would set the OracleService<SID> to "automatic." After reboot, Oracle is ready without any manual work.

    If the Oracle is used for development, which is the usual mode, just use default settings. Only when you need to use it, you only need to start the OracleService<SID> from Oracle Administration Assistant. OracleService<SID> will start the instance for you.

    Now I have problem when I want to do DBA work on NT. I have to deselect  "Startup instance when service is started" in the Oracle Administration Assistant, make sure TNSListener is already started, manually start OracleService<SID>, which now will NOT automatically start the Oracle instance. Then execute svrmgrl, and "connect internal." "startup nomount" will work.

    I am relatively new to Oracle, so I would welcome any correction and suggestions.

    I wonder if anyone use Oracle on NT in serious production. I would hesitate to invest too much time on NT-specific knowledge.

    svrmgrl seems to be on the way out. No good document exists for it. I successfully installed Oracle Enterprise Manager 2.1.0 coming with Oracle 8.1.6, after intensive reading of its documents. OEM finally matured. With OEM 2.0.4, I can not even install it, as with many other people. I wonder if OEM can replace svrmgrl.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Aug 25 2000 - 11:52:57 CDT