Re: Order By Clause-MS to Oracle Conversion

From: Alan Pettigrew <alan.pettigrew_at_fox-europe.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:19:43 +0100

The default action in SQL Server is wrong if you need portability. You need to

    SET ANSI_NULLS
which will sort NULL after other values, as Oracle does. Beware, because it changes other things as well. The result of ANY test against NULL will become NULL, i.e. not true, not false (as Oracle does) Old SQL server action where x=NULL

    IF x = NULL then
      ... This is executed
    ELSE
    END IF
    IF x <> NULL then
    ELSE
      ... This is executed
    END IF
New (and Oracle) action

    IF x = NULL then
    ELSE
      ... This is executed
    END IF
    IF x <> NULL then
    ELSE
      ... This is executed
    END IF If you need to simulate the SQL Server actions in Oracle, then you have problems.

Good luck,

Alan