Re: How to backup users and roles?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 08:29:45 +0200

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 06:05:00 GMT, pleasenospam_at_nospam.com (Victor Kaminsky) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am in need of transferring users and profiles from one server to
>another. The current backup strategy is just EXP/IMP a schema.
>However, this approach doesn't export users and roles, but exports
>GRANTS.
>
>I would like to know how to take a backup of users/passwords/roles
>from one server and restore on another. Preferrably, something as easy
>as EXP/IMP!
>
>Full backups are not available neither are desirable in my case
>because I am using different versions of Oracle on different
>platforms.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Victor

Apparently you are exporting in user mode. Roles are exported in full database mode. You could easily run a full database export without data, run an import with show=y full=y log=<any filename> and edit <any filename> to isolate the roles.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Thu Aug 24 2000 - 01:29:45 CDT