Re: OLEDB drivers - Microsoft vs Oracle

From: <billyana_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 21:43:19 GMT

I am researching the same issue and still have a lot of questions but here is what I have found out so far:

My test driver is in C++. The platform is Windows 2000 & WinNT4 and the database is Oracle8i (8.1.6) on remote server. I have tried:

1. Oracle OLEDB provider from Oracle
2. MS OLEDB provider for Oracle
3. MS OLEDB provider using ODBC (which works with Oracle as well)

1 is very very slow compared to 2 & 3, about 300 times. Also it doesn't work for stored srocedures, which return resultsets. 2 & 3 - According to MS documentation MS OLEDB and MS OLEDB using ODBC are not tested with Oracle8i, but they kind of work with a memory leak problem.
2 doesn't handle stored procedures returning resultsets, but is slightly faster than 3.

In article <399938E4.CC23C5B6_at_Unforgetable.com>,   Walter T Rejuney <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know of any reasons for using the Oracle OLEDB driver as
> opposed to the Microsoft OLEDB driver for Oracle? Are they roughly
> equivalent? Are there any notable differences? If the functionality is
> the same, what about performance?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Aug 23 2000 - 16:43:19 CDT