Re: Oralce V7 and VB question

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:51:27 +0100

"Kim A. Sommer" <kasommer_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8nuhf3$319$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <966631672.27041.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> > As long as the interface between the VB program and the Oracle
> > database runs on top of sqlnet, an Unix database shouldn't be any
> > problem. ODBC should be capable of doing this, Oracle Objects for
> > Ole definitely is, I don't know too much about OleDB and ADO, hence
> > the sentence I started with.
> >
> > You are aware V7 will be desupported in a few months time?
>

> Thanx for the answer. That should be a help. I now have to see
> if "sqlnet" rings any bells with our oracle folks. V7 support is the
> concern of the Oracle folks at work. They're not too keen on VB and
> would rather rebuild with Oracle's web interface development kit. I
> don't care it's just that the VB solution may be further along - if it
> will interface.

ADO & VB is definitely capable of doing what you want. SQL*NET is Oracles network transport so it must be working for you to have any connection from the workstation to the OracleDB (unless I suppose you telnet to the server from each workstation) . Wether it is a better or worse tool than Forms is a moot point. Received on Wed Aug 23 2000 - 05:51:27 CDT