Re: Connecting IIS and Oracle through a Firewall

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:24:59 +0800

Ryan wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to lock down the TCP/IP ports that Oracle
> communicates over. We have an IIS Server that is outside our firewall and
> an Oracle 8i Server inside the firewall. We established an ODBC connection
> using Oracles's ODBC driver between the two IP's. We, also opened up ports
> 1521 and 1526 to negotiate over. However, once it negotiates, it appears to
> want to pass data over a random port. Is there a way to identify what ports
> it can and cannot use?
>
> thanks,
> ryan

(This may be old info...)

There is a setting to force SQLNet to use a single port ( search for "firewall" on Metalink)... We overcame the problem using fixed IP addreses - not spectacular, but adequate for our situation..

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse