Re: (memory issue)Oracle 8.1.6 on NT 4.0

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 22:09:13 +1000

"Darrell Cooley" <Darrell_Cooley_at_med.unc.edu> wrote in message

> I have just upgraded from Oracle 8.0.4 to 8.1.6.
> and I have notice a great increase in the amount
> of memory the oracle.exe is using. I currently
> have 256MB and since upgrading it is now using the
> majority of that. Is this to be expected or is
> there any tuning I can do to alleviate this.

Watch out for the java pool. If you upgraded an old database, your init.ora wouldn't have an entry for this, so you'd be getting the default -which is 20Mb. At this stage, you'll probably be wanting to use precisely zero of this! Unfortunately, you can't switch the thing off entirely -the minimum appears to be 1M. But at least you can save yourself 19M of wasted memory by making an explicit declaration in the init.ora for java_shared_Pool=1000000.

In general, 8i is a lot hungrier than 8, and I would expect it to be more of a resource hog as a result.

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Aug 19 2000 - 07:09:13 CDT