Re: What is wrong with the following query?

From: Peter L <news_at_abc.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 06:30:52 GMT

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 20:50:21 GMT, ds3_99_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>What is wrong with the following query?
>
>SELECT TRUNC(t173.timestamp,'DD'), COUNT(t173.id)
>FROM tableA t173
>GROUP BY TRUNC(t173.timestamp,'DD') ORDER BY 1 ASC;
>
>I use Oracle 8.1.6.1.0/Solaris 2.6, and get the following error:
>
>ORA-12801: error signaled in parallel query server P000
>ORA-00979: not a GROUP BY expression
>
>Is this a problem with the Oracle version? Is there a fix for this?

I've seen similar problems running large queries in parallel, against a partitioned table, using 8.1.5. You could try running the query with a noparallel hint, can't remember the exact error.

There was one error we got consistently by adding 'where rownum < 100000000' to the query. Even though the select only returned a couple of hundred rows, it would fail consistently unless the above line was added. I can't remember if it was this exact error or not though. Received on Fri Aug 18 2000 - 01:30:52 CDT