Re: Grant Drop Privilege

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:53:32 GMT

In Oracle 7 & 8, there is not way to limit the tables a person with DROP ANY TABLE can drop. Just as the privilege says, that user can drop ANY table. This may be too powerful to hand out to your users.

In Oracle 8i, there is a new set of triggers. You can create a trigger that gets fired when someone tries to drop a table. If the trigger is run as someone who does have DROP ANY TABLE, then you can have that trigger detect if that user can drop the table and drop it for them. Or you can save yourself lots of work and have the user call someone to drop the table for them.

HTH,
Brian

"Nick G. Anagnos" wrote:

> I'd like grant some users the ability to drop a couple of tables in
> another users schema. Is there a way I can do this without granting the
> drop any table privilege??? Too powerful of a privilege to hand out to
> general users...
>
> Nick

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at