Re: CASE TOOLS? Are there any good modelling tools available??

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:13:31 GMT

    You can learn just the CASE tool part of Designer fairly quickly. If you want to use it to generate modules (a front end) you'll have to spend the same amount of time as you would to learn PowerBuilder. Designer can generate a front end for you with very little work on your part (either client/server or web based) once you learn to use the tool. BUT it won't look very pretty and it will have minimal functionality. Designer does have the ability to select a group of objects and to change them all in some way - something missing in PowerBuilder.

    In terms of a database, all decent CASE tools store their data somewhere. In some cases you don't get a chance to access it or make changes directly. Depends whether you consider that a benefit or not. In Oracle's case the database is explicit and reachable by you.

    Finally, if all you want is a CASE tool take another look at ERwin. Very short learning curve and it can interface with a variety of databases and front ends, including Oracle and PowerBuilder. The only downside is that it sometimes takes ERwin quite a while to release native database drivers for a new version of Oracle.

Van