Re: compare against date field (in multination app)

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powellNOmaSPAM_at_eds.com.invalid>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:09:24 -0700

Bernd Rosenau <brosenau_at_gss-online.de> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>my app written in VB 6 uses Oracle 8 as backend.
>I need to compare against date field.
>
>How can i do this ? It needs to work with different date
 formats, e.g.
>the german format dd.mm.yyyy or the french dd/mm/yyyy or the
 american
>mm/dd/yyyy.
>
>Many thanks in advance for your help,
>
>Regards, Bernd

If the Oracle date datatype is being used to store the data then this should not be a problem as internally a date is a date.

As long as the receiving application knows what format the incoming date is in then you can convert it to an internal date and compare it against another date value from a different location. Remember also that the Oracle date datatype also includes time so you may need to trunc or adjust the time portion to compare.

A bigger problem for you may be that 5 PM in Germany is not 5 PM in New York so you may have to adjust for time zones say converting both Germany and NY to GMT and then comparing. You did not provide any specifications about what you have to do so I will end here.

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com. Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com Received on Tue Aug 15 2000 - 10:09:24 CDT