Re: 8.1.6 for Linux Problem

From: aflinsch <avflinsch_at_att.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:39:46 -0500

Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> Thanks for the reply,
>
> I use dbstart to start the database but still the same error occured.
>
> After playing around I have managed to get it to work after looking at a
> script which was installed and sudenly an instance of ORACLE was created.

The dbstart script shipped with 8.1.6 appears to be broken. There is some documentation on one of the oracle websites about it. Since My installation is mostly for learning/playing around, I have no need to start Oracle automatically, and I just start it manually when I need it.

> Creation does work much better from a script outside of X, it's certainly
> memory hungry.

The process is very memory hungry. starting it outside of X and without X running, allows you to use the memory that X & youe window manager were sucking up. Received on Tue Aug 15 2000 - 10:39:46 CDT