Re: From VMS to NT

From: Breno de Avellar Gomes <brenogomes_at_ieee.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:05:09 +0100

There are some nice options:
- you can use your existing terminals and take advantages of Windows 2000 client for Terminal Server edition.
- Compaq iPaq - the company calls it "internet device" but it is much more. For about $500 you get a "legacy free pc", with 10/100 network interface card, 64 MB RAM, celeron 500 and Windows 2000 client license. Considering the costs of W2K itself (aprox. $250), the product is very affordable. On the server side you can use W2K Terminal Server.

pasmith_at_ppg.com wrote:

> We are currently a VMS shop running ORACLE 7.3.4 on an alpha 2100.
> Support for this set up is rapidly getting scarce. We are considering
> switching to an NT box running ORACLE 8i. We currently have about 150
> dumb terminals on the production floor, which run ORACLE forms for
> getting and displaying data. These are connected to terminal servers
> that can run TCP/IP. Does anyone know of a way for dumb terminals to
> communicate with NT? Or does anyone know of an inexpensive GUI device
> that we can use as a replacement for our dumb terminals?
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

|  -°)                                          (°-  |
|  /\\  Linux the choice of the GNU generation  //\  |
| _\_v                                          v_/_ |

Breno de Avellar Gomes
Database Applications & Internet Developer

Arquivo-Sistemas de Bases de Dados
P. O. Box 5006
EC Municipio
4017-001 Porto
Portugal

brenogomes_at_ieee.org
brenogomes_at_acm.org
Cellular phone: 351-917383469
Cellular messages: 917383469_at_sms.telecel.pt
ICQ # 35567342

Toll free fax and answering machine from USA
1-888-EXCITE2  extension  291-303-8152

Outside USA (international fares apply)
1-917-463-3173