updating rows and refreshing ID's. - beginner need help-

From: Francesco Marchioni <Francesco.Marchioni_at_intra.lastminutetour.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:55:03 +0200

Hello,
I have the following problem: I have a table like:

ID Date

1    1-Jan-1998
2    5-Feb-2000
3    3-Nov-1999
4    6-Oct-2000

I'd need to sort the table ordered by Date but updating the ID so that it's still progressive. f.e.

ID Date

1    1-Jan-1998
2    3-Nov-1999
3    5-Feb-2000
4    6-Oct-2000

Is it possible to do it with a single update SQL statement ? or do I need a stored procedure to do it?
(I'd be very grateful if I get some code that that show how to do it- I'm totally out of Oralce books
at the moment).
Thanks a lot
Francesco Received on Mon Aug 14 2000 - 07:55:03 CDT