Re: PL/SQL - UTL_FILE and Mapped Drives in NT

From: Finn Ellebaek Nielsen <fen_at_changegroup.dk>
Date: 2000/08/13

You can make it work if you ensure that the Oracle NT services are started as a specific user and also make sure that the specific user has access to that network drive and has it mapped.

HTH. Finn

<kentbulza_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8n4fmt$38$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> And you can get this to work in NT? I seem to
> have problems even though I've done everything
> below. Can someone confirm that on NT they are
> using UTL_FILE to read mapped _NETWORK_ drives (I
> have no problem with local drives). Are they in
> the same Domain? Did they use "Everyone"
> or "System" or what when creating the share.
> (I've tried all, by the way.)
>
> Kent
>

> In article
> <newscache$km34zf$rak$1_at_lnews.actcom.co.il>,
> "Bastiaan Schaap" <bschaap_at_desyde.nl> wrote:
> > Depends on how you try to get onto the network
 drive. When accessing a
> > network path there are 3 things to take into
 consideration:
> > 1. You have to map a drive to the directory on
 the network
> > 2. There must not be any authorization required
 to access that directory
> > 3. The path must be in the UTL_FILE_DIR entry
 in your init<SID>.ora file
> > (oracle initialization parameters)
> >
> > So in order to use a networked directory create
 a share for it which does
> > NOT require ANY authentication, then map a
 drive to that directory or one of
> > it's parent directories. As a final step you
 have to add the directory to
> > the utl_file_dir entry in your parameter file.
 Remember that the database
> > has to be restarted in order for the changes to
 take effect.
> > We did this procedure on all common windows
 platforms, and it works like a
> > charm. If you translate this to a unix
 environment I would say: make the
> > share with Samba (or whatever Sun calls the SMB
 tools), then make a symbolic
> > link for the share from the database machine to
 the network drive. Then you
> > would have a directory entry on your root, that
 actually points to the
> > network share. I haven't tried this unix setup
 yet, but I will sometime
> > soon...
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Bastiaan Schaap
> > Oracle web development,
> > Desyde BV - Baarn
> > http://www.desyde.nl/
> > tel. +31355411711
> >
> > Michel Cadot <micadot_at_netcourrier.com> wrote in
 message

> > > Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> a
 écrit dans le message :

 965847547.24803.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl...
> [...]
 all the pl/sql code).
 can be used, though I never
 tried

> > > I don't try On Unix, but it doesn't work on
 network drive on Windows NT.

 work: you make an NFS-mount of
 the
 you will have access to the

> [...]