ORA-03113 error while starting 81 on Linux

From: <lduperval_at_sprint.ca>
Date: 2000/08/12

Hi,

I've read the posts on this problem and I've tried all the solutions offered but I still can't get this to work. I'm on Mandrake 7.0. I've installed Oracle and everything seems to have installed correctly. However, when I try to create a new database, I get the dreaded ORA-03113 error.

I have 128 MB of memory on a Pentium III 300. I'm using the latest version of the Enterprise Server found on Oracle's site (8.1.6.1.0). The error occurs systematically when I do

startup nomount pfile = "/home/oracle/admin/mine/pfile/initemine.ora"

It starts doing something and then it stops with ORA-03113. I've noticed that when this occurs I have a zombie oracle process left. That disappears when I exit svrmgrl. I tried looking for an alert.log file to see what the problem is but I can't find one anywhere.

I looked on OTN, looked at messages posted here but I can't find anything that helps. If anyone can give me any other help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Laurent Received on Sat Aug 12 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT