writing an Open Gateway/heterogeneous services agent

From: literfizzer <literfizzerNOliSPAM_at_yahoo.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/08/09

I want to write a Heterogeneous Services agent for Oracle 8.1.6. I've searched the product manual set and Oracle's TechNet, but I haven't found any documentation on how to do this. There is information in the Oracle 8i Distributed Database Systems manual on how to install and configure an agent. There is also documentation on packages like DBMS_HS_PASSTHROUGH that have C-like APIs. It seems like an agent/gateway would implement these functions, as well as others for things like remote query execution.

On the other hand, the agent/gateway is described as an executable program which is run by the TNS listener. Does it appear as just another Oracle database instance? If so, I'd expect it would have to implement the Oracle Program Interface, which according to O'Reilly's "Oracle 8i Internal Services" book is the top layer on the server side that talks TNS/Net8.

Any help or hints much appreciated. If you prefer to e-mail me privately, please send to literfizzer(atsign)yahoo(period)com.

-Andrew

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com. Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com Received on Wed Aug 09 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT