Re: Case Insensitivity

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/08/08

 Kevin> Hello, How is case insensitivity emulated in Oracle?  I
 Kevin> see that there are function-based indexes that would
 Kevin> allow me to index a mixed-case column as UPPER(colname),
 Kevin> and then use the "UPPER" function in the predicate, but I
 Kevin> can not get the optimizer to use that index.  A table
 Kevin> scan is always generated.  I have analyzed the table and
 Kevin> indexes updating the statistics, there are no NULLS, all
 Kevin> of the rules are followed.

Oracle will not use an index if you put a function around the column. It will basically say, all bets are off, cause you are changing the data that I indexed on.

I use this functionality whenever I want a full-table scan instead of the index.

where indexed.column + 0 = other.column

--
Galen Boyer