Concurrency in Stored Procedure

From: Michael Maddox <mikemad_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 2000/08/08

I have some code similar to the following in an Oracle Stored Procedure:

    Select TotalCash into v_TotalCash from Account Where Account ID = 100;

    ..... Some verification code

    Update Account Set TotalCash = v_TotalCash + p_AddedCash;

I believe this is a concurrency issue because it's possible that after v_TotalCash is read, someone may update the value of TotalCash in the Account table by the time I get to my update command. Therefore, TotalCash would be wrong. This would be a better solution:

    Update Account Set TotalCash = TotalCash + p_AddedCash;

My question is, is this the only way to resolve a concurrency issue like this on Oracle since I don't think it does any kind of read locking?

Thanks for the help!

Michael Maddox Received on Tue Aug 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT