ODBC Connection to Oracle DB from LAN

From: JS <totally_invalid_at_email.address>
Date: 2000/08/07

Hello,

I am trying to establish a connection to an Oracle 8i DB (8.1.6 I think) running on an NT server on my LAN (TCP/IP). My local machine does not have the Oracle client on it. I am hoping to make some kind of ODBC connection to this DB, but I keep getting TNS resolution errors. I have tried making file DSNs on the server, but that didn't help any. The current driver I am using is Microsoft's ODBC for oracle, version 2.573.4403.00 (it came with MDAC 2.5). Does anyone know if there is a way I can make this connection without having to install Oracle client/Net8? (i.e.. can I tweak the connection string to search the network for the server name or feed in an IP address and port number?) Finally, what kind of setup will I need to do on the server end to get it ready to accept the connection? If at all possible, I would prefer to do this without DSNs.

I eventually want to write some c++ classes that will use this connection. I am shooting to minimize the system req.'s for the users of my classes.

Thanks a billion for the help! Oh, if you think I am asking too much of ODBC, please let me know!

Jason Received on Mon Aug 07 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT