Re: oracle and XML

From: Bastiaan Schaap <bschaap_at_desyde.nl>
Date: 2000/08/07

Hello Pierluigi,

You can parse and create XML documents by using the XML toolkit, provided by Oracle. You can find this toolkit, examples and information at: http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml . If you have specific questions you can post them in the XML forum, also on technet at: http://technet.oracle.com/support/bboard/discussions.htm . The XML forum is an open forum, thus even if you're unregistered you can post to this forum. Please remember that the XML toolkit is not supported by Oracle (yet). It will be shipped with 8i release 3 (8.1.7) at the end of this year, then it will be supported.

We're working with the toolkit too and our experience is that using the DOM parser works really nice, however creating XML through the toolkit really sucks (at least for the PL/SQL part..). If you have the time to figure this out you'll be fine. If you would like additional information about what XML/XSL is, then I'd like to point you to http://wdvl.com which has a lot of links to all kinds of resources regarding XML.

This should help you get on the way, HTH,

Bastiaan Schaap
Oracle web development,
Desyde BV - Baarn
http://www.desyde.nl/