Re: How do you configure 2 Oracle DBs on 12 RAID disks?

From: Scott Galliand <galliand_at_email.com>
Date: 2000/08/05

I've been researching a similar problem recently with Oracle7 databases on OpenVMS, so this might help a little. According to an article from Oracle Support on Metalink (use the keyword striping if searching there) Oracle recommends RAID 0+1 (striping+shadowing) for datafiles, and RAID 1 for control files, archive logs, and redo logs. RAID 1 should be the max used for redo logs and archive logs in any case. If you can't use RAID 0+1 for datafiles, they recommend RAID 1 or RAID 5. I wish I could remember to article off-hand, but if you search MetaLink with the keyword above, you should find several RAID articles.

Hope this helps.

Scott M. Galliand
Oracle DBA, DoD Information Technology Center New Orleans LA
galliand_at_email.com