Re: Oracle 8i TNS Error

From: Ewan Parker <ewan_at_chimera.u-net.com>
Date: 2000/08/03

On 01-Aug-00 17:56:14, Daniel Suarez said about Re: Oracle 8i TNS Error:
> The listener stopped crashing. I removed the database from the system both
> using the Oracle tools and then I deleted the folder from explorer.

> From SQL Plus I can create tables but I still can not connect to my service
> name because the TNS keeps saying it cannot resolve the service name.

> Keep trying I guess.

If you get the error "unable to resolve service name" then your network client has failed its search in the tnsnames.ora file for the database name you specified. If the configuration problem lay with the listener, then I would expect on ORA-12203 "TNS:unable to connect to destination" error instead. Your error means that the client *never* even initiated a network connection to the remote computer, and thus the listener process is out of the loop in this case. The listener's logs should show if this is the case.

Specifically: what is the difference between SQL*Plus (working) and the failing program? What is the other program? Are they in the same/different home, or running on different computers?

You should not need to keep trying things out, as a methodical approach will solve this problem - checking first the client (tnsnames.ora), and then the server (listener.ora).

Regards,
Ewan.