Re: Help on Oracle install on a Solaris 5.7 box...

From: <petis776_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/08/02

Hi!

I get the same ORA-01034 error when installing to a SuSE 6.4 box. Installation is ok, but dbassist fails when creating the default database. I've changed the settings for semaphores etc according to the installation instructions, and recompiled the kernel successfully.

I have no idea how large a "too large SGA" is. Any hints?

kindest regards,

In article <3977343B.56C14CDE_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>,   Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote:
> Oracle on Solaris uses shared memory segments. You'll have to make
 sure
> to configure the shared memory segments before you can start an Oracle
> database. Also, check the INIT.ORA parameters to make sure that your
 SGA
> is not sized too large.
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> Shivaji Apte wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am desperately seeking help for Oracle installation on Solaris.
> > I am using the 8.1.5 version of Oracle 8i and have a solaris machine
> > with 1 GB ram (+ 1 GB swap) and 18 GB hard disk.
> >
> > I have installed the server and the client software. While creating
 the
> > default database,
> > I get the errors 'ORA-01034: ORACLE Not available'.
> >
> > I run the 'svrmgrl' and try to do a 'startup', which fails due to
> > 'ORA- 27102 : Out of Memory'.
> > Neither RAM nor my disk partitions seems to be an issue (all
 partitions
> > as less than 10 % full).
> >
> > Has anybody seen this before ? Has any1 any idea what might be going
> > wrong ?
> > I have installed the recommended packages and patches.
> >
> > Shivaji
>
> --
> Brian Peasland
> Raytheons Systems at
> USGS EROS Data Center
> These opinions are my own and do not
> necessarily reflect the opinions of my
> company!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Aug 02 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT