Re: Oracle problem with "Select *"

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/08/02

full table scan depends on the where clause or absence of where clause *only*. It doesn't necessarily depend on the select list. However if you use an indexed column (s) in the select list and the where clause it might not even read the table.
I am afraid you need to read either the Oracle Performance Tuning manual and/or the tuning book of Rich Niemic, published by Osborne/Oracle Press.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA