Re: EMC or NetApp for Oracle Database Storage?

From: <dmoharir_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/08/01

In article <3980EB53.BC440F39_at_texas.net>,   Michael Wilkerson <mwilker_at_texas.net> wrote:
> We're considering implementing a new databse application that should
> need a couple hundred GB of storage in the first year or two (large
> multimedia files). We're considering both EMC and NetApp hardware for
> this. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations about either
 of
> these?

Hi Mike,

I have been using EMC storage now for 2+ years and will highly recommend it. I do not have experience with NetApp. one of our badly written data processing jobs :) which use to take @ 8 hrs on sun storage took 5 hours once on EMC. All your i/o bound jobs are going to fly at jet speed on EMC. EMC does give you complete ability regarding where to place your data and under which controllers. It's tight architecture which provides redundancy at SCSI/fibre adapter, disk controller,power, cache
mgmt levels makes it extremely reliable. Mirrored drives are recommended for
a fairly R/W app. You can use RAID-S of EMC for extensive readonly apps.

One thing you have to be careful is overall planning and usage of EMC storage array. Understanding functionality and gotchas of EMC is extremely important since it can very easily get out of control and you may end up with a storage array in which 1 controller is handling two extremely hot disks belonging to different apps.

Moneywise EMC is expensive( the only thing which is against EMC ). Service wise they are 100% satisfactory. And performance wise they fly through the roof.

2 years ago on when we first started using EMC, I communicated with some ppl extensively through this newsgroup and now we have our own  guidelines set for setting up an Oracle database on EMC storage to get best performance and reliability.I will be glad to answer more questions regarding this and you can email me personally.

A happy customer of winning combo of oracle and EMC, D

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Aug 01 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT