Re: new instance / database

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/07/30

"Ben Heuer" <queerczarNOquSPAM_at_unforgettable.com.invalid> wrote in message news:020eae02.f5f4d40d_at_usw-ex0104-031.remarq.com...
> Thanks for the wonderful explanation, Howard!! That helps a lot
> indeed.
>
> Just a related question: How can I create another instance of
> the same database on NT? My server is on NT too.

Cheers Ben! Your question begs a question or two!

First off, you can't really have 'an instance of a database', 'cos an Instance is just a memory structure that manages a database, and it's always a one-to-one relationship -an Instance can only ever manage one database (though a database can be managed by nore than one Instance in Parallel Server configurations). Different 'life stages' of the same database are better called 'incarnations' (and are so called in things like RMAN).

So the begged question is: what do you really mean by 'create another instance of the same database'? Do you mean: copy the physical files and have two completely different databases (which would have to be managed by two separate Instances)? Or do you mean 'how do I get my one database managed by two separate Instances'?

The short answer to the first question would be: backup Control File to trace, shutdown the database, copy all the data files and online redo logs somewhere else, use oradim to create freshly-named NT services for the new Instance (eg, MYORCL2), edit the parameter file so it points to a new Control File location and has a new db_name, edit the trace file so it creates a new Control File with a new database name, set your ORACLE_SID to the new value, start the Instance (ie, startup nomount), and run the 'create controlfile' trace file. There are twists and turns in that procedure, but off the top of my head that looks like it should work. In short, the one-line answer is: clone your database.

The short answer to the second question is: spends a whole heap of cash on getting Oracle parallel server configuration working. I confess to never having done parallel server configurations in real life, so you'd best ask others how to do it in practice on NT. All I know is -it ain't cheap!!

Hope that gets you started, anyway.

Best regards,
HJR