Re: Insight please

From: DRODRIGU1 <drodrigu1_at_aol.com>
Date: 2000/07/29

I suppose that by "dropping" 5K you mean paying for the dba clases at oracle education. Actually, they are more like 10K+.

By having certification, you assert that you have a pretty good understanding of how oracle works. From personal experience, it gets you interviews, but not much else. Experience counts a lot more. Nevertheless, just by studying for the certification you will learn a few new things.

You need to ask first of all if you don't mind solving problems, working alone and sometimes work under pressure and in odd hours.

There is a book called dba 101, which goes about the daily activities of a dba.  I would buy it only if I think I would use it later. You can absorb the gist of the book in about 15-20 minutes right in the bookstore.

The question now is how do you get the experience. You need a base. Knowing a programming language and having unix experience helps a lot. You also need to know the principles of databases. Oracle dba classes will not teach you this.

Some time ago I also wanted to break in this field. I had unix experience in my job and c programming. I took sql and database classes at night at the local university for much less than what oracle charges (how about $350/semester vs $2100/week).

Eventually, the opportunity appeared when an employer required my skills. They eventually put me through all the oracle classes. That is something I let them know upfront that I wanted to do.

On a budget, you can also get the same knowledge the classes will give you. All the information you need is found at the oracle website. The classes just makes it easier and quicker, but you pay dearly for it. Also, the classes will give you the basics. There is much more to learn after that.

Start by getting the requirements for the oracle 8 certification as an outline for the information you need to find. That outline is the same outline of the chapters of the books you'll get at the oracle classes. Then traverse the website, including the Oracle technology network (OTN). I am doing just that for the oracle 8i certification.
Then, very important, get the oracle 8i trial software (about $40). It will be very hard to understand oracle just by reading. Not to say that it is the only way to make your pl/sql scripts.

Try getting the one for linux, so you can practice your unix. Installing it is a learning experience by itself. You can also get the one for NT if you prefer. Of course, you will need a system capable of handling oracle.

It will be unlikely that you get a dba job with just that, however, you can start doing software development at the same time you work in your oracle. Make friends with the dba and get acquainted with what he does. Ask him questions.

Make know that you are interested in the field and that you have aquired some knowledge. Eventually, the dba will leave for greener pastures and if you are well acquainted and ready, you will be in a great position to make the break. In any case, you will also be ready to back him up, if need be. He will love you for that.

Last, but certainly not least, as you gain knowledge you need to build your resources. Few dba's know all the answers. Read this newsgroup and ask questions.Build your personal library. Ask your dba friend about metalink, one of the best resources.

 Breaking in this field is not easy, but it can be done. I did it, with a full time job and a family. Best of luck.

Dave Received on Sat Jul 29 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT