Re: EMC or NetApp for Oracle Database Storage?

From: Jay M. Scheiner <jxs_at_wolpoff_nospm_law.com>
Date: 2000/07/28

We have an EMC system attached to our DMSII database on our Unisys mainframe. It really makes our db scream.

The configuration is 200GB of disk, I believe it HAD to be mirrored, so 100GB usable. 2GB of disk cache, and if your power dies it has power backup so that it will write out the cache. Bunch of 9GB spindles that you do have flexibility configuring. I'm sure there are other configurations available, but the more spindles you can distribute your i/o over, the better.

The downside to EMC that I hear about is that it is more expensive than some other vendors.

Any other questions, please feel to email me directly.

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 02:17:30 GMT, Michael Wilkerson <mwilker_at_texas.net> wrote:

>We're considering implementing a new databse application that should
>need a couple hundred GB of storage in the first year or two (large
>multimedia files). We're considering both EMC and NetApp hardware for
>this. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations about either of
>these?
>
>I admit, I've just begun looking at both of these and am not very
>familiar with this type of storage solution. I was curious how much
>control I would have in where my datafiles are stored:
>- Will I be able to select which disk/controller each datafile is stored
>on or will the entire array just appear as one big disk? (will I even
>need to or will the storage unit handle it all)
>- Do I get a choice to stripe or mirror (or a combination of the two)?
>- Anything we should be aware of/watch out for?
>
>Appreciate your insite,
>Michael

Jay M. Scheiner
Programmer/Analyst
Wolpoff & Abramson, LLP
remove _nospm_ from email address
Opinions are my own only! Received on Fri Jul 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT