Re: Is a five day class really worth 2K for a newbie?

From: <kkt62_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/28

The other way is to look at alternative places that teaches the official oracle curriculum other than oracle. For example, here in Los Angeles, UCLA Extension offers Oracle courses that mirror the ones offered by Oracle Univ., in fact they get the same student guide materials directly from Oracle. The cost of the class is $1075, about 1/2 the cost of the ones offered by Oracle.  UCLA Extension also offer classes that aren't official Oracle courses. These classes cost $475, but materials used are books that you buy from a bookstore.

In article <3974A7B1.3EF1_at_w-link.net>,
  tedne_at_w-link.net wrote:
> I realize that this kind of question doesn't lend itself to precise
> answers but opinions would be appreciated.
> I was checking out the Oracle website and they advertise a beginning
> 5-day class called Introduction to Oracle SQL etc., (41010) for $2,000.
> I have zero experience in DBA but I am comfortable with Boolean
> searching on Dialog and similar resources. And I do want to increase my
> skill set and marketability.
> So, does that seem like a good investment for a beginner?
> What about pressing on and getting those OCP pieces of paper on my wall
> and resume?
> Are there better alternatives?
>
> Again I apologize for the vagueness because I know in advance that any
> answer will have a lot of "It depends." I do want some opinions before I
> go over and get a sales talk from an Oracle rep.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jul 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT