Re: new instance / database

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: 2000/07/27

    When you issue a startup command (nomount) on a database server Oracle allocates a memory area called the System Global Area or SGA and starts several Oracle processes. The combination of the SGA and these processes is called an instance.

     After starting an instance Oracle mounts a database (your datafiles, etc.) to the instance. Multiple instances, each accessing its own physical database can be run on the same computer. In parallel server systems a single database can mount multiple instances.

    So the question of when to create an instance and when to create a database depends on what it is you are trying to do.

    Please go to the Oracle technical site under documentation and download the Concepts Manual. This will help you a lot.

Van