Re: decompile option in access97

From: Pete B <barnesp_at_datatek.com>
Date: 2000/07/27

Apparently, he thinks splitting the app into a data file and an interface file is merely an exercise in creating Access mdb files that we developers do for fun. Amazing that a person involved with scientific work would not immediately have the obvious question come to mind, "WHY would I want to do this, what is the **advantage** in doing so?"

Oh well, like you say, some people's kids never listen, they have to learn the hard way...

--
Pete B
Michael (michka) Kaplan <former_mvp_at_spamfree.trigeminal.nospam.com> wrote

> Well, sicne you are so far along in your thinking that all you feel like
> doing is posting questions that have almost nothing to do with your
subject
> line and are completely unwilling to accept that your design may be
behind
> one or more of the problems you are seeing, and finally since you seem
more
> interested in looking for solutions outside of Access anyway, it is clear
> that you do not need help related to Access.
>
> If you change your mind, let me know.
>
> --
> MichKa
>
> random junk of dubious value at the multilingual
> http://www.trigeminal.com/ and a new book on
> i18N in VB at http://www.trigeminal.com/michka.asp
>
> "Jeff D. Hamann" <hamannj_at_ucs.orst.edu> wrote in message
> > I didn't know that the accepted practice was to split the code and data
into
> > two "databases". I don't want to have the data separate from the code.
Since
> > I'm having to compact the database on a daily basis, It'll just
confusing
> > for some people and this application need to be able to be simple
enough so
> > a person can press a simple button and a few days later run another
program
> > somewhere else and not worry about databases (yes, it's got to be that
> > simple) I guess if I wanted to develop the application separate from
the
> > database, I'd use ODBC or MySQL to store the data or even my own text
or
> > binary files, but they don't have the encapsulation that a single
access
> > file has.
> >
> > And as for the crosspost, I wanted to get a feel for what types of
> > "corruption" problems others are having. I don't think that just
switching
> > to Oracle will solve the problem since VB isn't an option there, etc,
etc,
> > etc.
> >
> > And on another note, I've been expirimenting with writing binary files
and
> > trying to read them in C using structures/record types in both and
haven't
> > had much success. Have you had any success using binary file i/o
accross
> > different products like that?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jeff.

> > Jeff D. Hamann
> > 2601 NE Jack London Street #27
> > Corvallis, Oregon 97330 USA
> > 541-740-5988
> > hamannj_at_ucs.orst.edu
> >

> > "Michael (michka) Kaplan" <former_mvp_at_spamfree.trigeminal.nospam.com>
wrote
> > in message news:#WY90j19$GA.288_at_cpmsnbbsa09...
> > > Are you saying that you have combined all of your data into a single
MDB
> > > file instead of two separate files, one with the data and the other
with the
> > > program?
> > >
> > > If that is the case, then try splitting them. This is a standard,
accepted
> > > technique that has been in widespread use at least since Access 2.0.
> > >
> > > And why crosspost an Access question to SQLServer and Oracle groups?
All you
> > > will get is a bunch of "don't use Access, thats the problem you are
having"
> > > which serve no real point. Either you want to solve the problem, in
which
> > > case stick in Access groups, or you want suggestions on where to go
to.

> > > --
> > > MichKa
> > >
> > > random junk of dubious value at the multilingual
> > > http://www.trigeminal.com/ and a new book on
> > > i18N in VB at http://www.trigeminal.com/michka.asp
> > >
> > > "Jeff D. Hamann" <hamannj_at_ucs.orst.edu> wrote in message

C0loseÁÀ!3' ÛÃ bÆ