Re: Net8 Connect Strings

From: <rock_cogar_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/26

Kevin,

The fact that you can connect using ODBC suggests that ODBC is setup to correctly use the Oracle native drivers to talk to the database.

You did not mention exactly what Oracle client tools (version, has SQLPLUS,...) you installed on your desktop and what OS you are running on. Do you have the system password for the database ?

Tell us more and we can help you out.
Rock.

In article <397EDE4C.1A4EC256_at_certifyonline.com>,   Kevin MacLeod <kmacleod_at_certifyonline.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently tried to define an Oracle 8 database for Cognos Impromptu.
 If
> you use native Oracle drivers, Impromptu requires the connect string.
> am definitely a novice when it comes to Oracle, but I took an entry
 out
> of the tnsnames.ora file and tried to enter it into the text box
> supplied for the connect string. It didn't work...I got it working
 using
> ODBC, but I'd like to know if tnsnames.ora was the right place to look
> for this information. How would I construct a connect string for an
> Oracle database? What are the various pieces of information needed to
> construct one? Is there any sort of saving using native drivers over
> ODBC?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> --
> Kevin MacLeod

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jul 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT