Re: Oracle 8i Licensing Question

From: <harbinger666_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/26

In article <397ED70E.F6B55054_at_hotmail.com>,   Frank <fbortel_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Doubt it, but it probably depends on who you're talking to.
> Best approach would be to turn it down, based on the licencing schema
> Oracle uses: MHz * cpu * $$$$; you will never use both machines at the
> same time, so only 1 * (MHz * cpu * $$$$) applies, not two!
> Oracle doesn't run on the other machine, until it takes over, right?
>
> (Hot standby is a different story, I managed to get the second licence
> for peanuts)
> hth, grtz, Frank

That's correct, the standby node cannot even access the Oracle binaries as the shared volume group cannot be opened concurrently. It will only get access once the live node fails, and once the live node is fixed it will re-join the cluster as the standby with no access to the Oracle binaries etc......

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jul 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT