Re: decompile option in access97

From: Kallal <kallal_at_msn.com>
Date: 2000/07/26

Jeff D. Hamann <hamannj_at_ucs.orst.edu> wrote in message news:8lnvcj$d1i$1_at_news.NERO.NET...
> I didn't know that the accepted practice was to split the code and data
 into
> two "databases". I don't want to have the data separate from the code.
 Since
> I'm having to compact the database on a daily basis, It'll just confusing
> for some people and this application need to be able to be simple enough
 so
> a person can press a simple button and a few days later run another
 program
> somewhere else and not worry about databases (yes, it's got to be that
> simple)

I think that if you can't figure out how to teach your users to distinguish between two icons, or two programs, then you might as well give up trying to lean and use a computer. If your users are too mentally challenged, then you either need to get some "new" users, or again give up. Virtually every developer in this newsgroup has clients that seem to have no problem dealing with a split db......we are talking thousands and thousands of combined USERS. If your users can't deal with this, then you really are in a sorry state. By the way, if you had a split db, then you code module would not have been damaged by the last corruption! You can't blame the car if the mechanic tells you to put oil in it, and you ignore his advice!

> And as for the crosspost, I wanted to get a feel for what types of
> "corruption" problems others are having. I don't think that just switching
> to Oracle will solve the problem since VB isn't an option there, etc, etc,
> etc.

If you don't think that switching to Oracle will solve any problems, then why post in a newsgroup about a completely different product? that is really dumb! So what if you lean that a rotten Oracle setup has corruptions too?....you gain nothing unless you are considering Oracle as an alternative. How do you even know that fixing a Oracle corruption problem would apply to Access?

Secondly, Oracle is a server based product, where Access is a file based product (I suggest you do some reading to learn the difference). By the way, you can use Access to link to a Oracle db if you wish.

> And on another note, I've been experimenting with writing binary files and
> trying to read them in C using structures/record types in both and haven't
> had much success. Have you had any success using binary file i/o accross
> different products like that?

Again, this question is not clear at all. Are you talking about binary file I/o on a Access db? or are you asking about binary file i/o in general (buzzz...wrong newsgroup again!). To be clear, you are not going to have any success in read/writing Access files directly via C (the internal structure is propriety and not documented). Also, what does binary access have to do with corruption, and the decomple option anyway......(it is now time to read this newsgroups FAQ.....it is posted daily).

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal_at_msn.com Received on Wed Jul 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT