Re: SYSTEM as SYSDBA cannot grant privs on others' tables?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/07/26

"Alex News" <alexr_at_mincom.com> wrote in message news:8lll8b$kqg$1_at_sol.mincom.oz.au...
> Hi!
>
> What you missing is to create a password file which allows granting
 sysdba,
> sysoper
> priviliges to more than one user.
>
> Use orapwd file=<$ORACLE_HOME>/dbs/orapw<$ORACLE_SID> password=<just a
> password> entries=10 for Unix.
> The corresponding utility for NT is oradim80.
>
> After that you can grant sysadm to any user you have created. To do so
> connect to the server manager as sys:
> connect sys as sysdba and
> grant sysdba to <your user>
>
> Regards,
>
> Alex

Totally incorrect Alex. His problem is not related in any way to the possession or lack thereof of the sysdba privilege. The plain fact is, the only person that can grant object privileges on any given object is its owner. Having the sysdba system privilege does not mean you magically acquire all object privileges.

Your proposed solution simply means that he will be able to create other sysdba's. None of them will acquire any rights over objects they don't own as a result.

The real cure is to log on as the various users, and grant privileges on objects to SYSTEM with grant option... thereafter, SYSTEM can not only exercise those object privileges, but can administer them too (ie, grant and revoke them from everyone else -except the object owner, of course).

Regards
HJR