Storing Unicode character in Oracle

From: <steffensobe_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/25

Hi,

I have to store different Asian character sets (Japanese, Chinese, etc) into the same database. I learnt that the NLS_CHARACTER_SET for the database has to be set up as UTF-8. Each column size definition like CHAR(n) means n bytes instead of n characters.

Is there really no UCS-2 supported by Oracle? Do I have to change each column definition from CHAR(n) to CHAR(3*n) where n is the number of characters?
Does this mean one column can store 30 European character but only 10 Asian Character.

Thanks for your help,
Steffen

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jul 25 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT