Oracle Recovery

From: Nigel <ntavendaleREMOVE_at_FORsaegroupSPAM.com>
Date: 2000/07/24

Here is my problem:

I am running Oracle 805 On A Solaris 7 Sparc Box. I want to do a cold backup and then restore the database on another, separate Solaris 7 sparc Box.

Here is what I did:

I installed Solaris on the new box.

I installed oracle on this box with an identical directory structure to the old one.

I shut down the instance. (I diddn't run the catrep.sql file as I diddn't thing it needed to be doone since I would be copying an entire new set of files).

I did my cold backup on the Old Box.

I pullled over all the files (Control files, log files and data files as well as the initsid.ora and configsid.ora files and the orapwsid file) onto the new box.

I copied the files ionto their correct locations.

I started up the database which mounted and opened.

Now I can log into sqlplus as SYS and select from v$datafile etc but when I try to log in as an ordinary user I get the following:

ORA-00600 arguments [12700],[10],[4294455],[1],[],[],[],[]

I looked into the alert file which told me there was an error in the .trc file and in the trc file it had an error that said SNAPSHOT too old. Neither database was or is in Archive Log Mode.

I have two questions:

1 - Is what I am trying to do possible?

2 - Where did I go wrong if it is?

Any help greatly appreciated,

Nigel. Received on Mon Jul 24 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT