SYSTEM as SYSDBA cannot grant privs on others' tables?

From: Jim Garrison <jhg_at_acm.org>
Date: 2000/07/23

I'm trying to set up a complex set of schemas and want to do all the work logged on as SYSTEM. I can create tables in other schemas, but when I try to grant privileges on those tables (to PUBLIC, for instance) Oracle tells me I have insufficient privileges. For example:

   grant select on mfg.orders to public;    ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

I'm logged on as SYSTEM. It makes no difference if I use "as SYSDBA" also. As far as I can tell, SYSTEM has all necessary privileges.... what am I missing?

--
Jim Garrison (jhg_at_acm.org)
PGP Keys at http://www.acm.org/~jhg RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88