Somebody must use VB with Oracle and do long queries

From: David Kemp <David.Kemp_at_greendown.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/07/19

Since they all appear to be Oracle illiterate in the comp.lang.basic.visual.database group, I thought I'd ask the big boys if they know the answer to this 'cos it's really bugging me.

Cheers

Dave

Hi,

I am using VB5 with RDO to query an Oracle database.

Most of the time everything is fine, however, I am adding a new feature to allow the user to enter a flexible search of the database ie they can basically query against all the fields in the table.

Some of these queries can obviously take a long time to run (a few minutes) but after about 60 seconds I am getting the following error message back from Oracle:

ORA-01013:user requested cancel of current operation

I'm guessing that there is some timeout on the client side that then closes the connection to Oracle, resulting in the above message.

I have tried changing the QueryTimeout parameter for the rdoConnection and have also looked through the registry for all the timeouts I can find associated with ODBC, but nothing seems to make any difference.

I'm just doing a DoEvents while waiting for the query to finish ie

  While GetResultsetParam.StillExecuting     DoEvents
  Wend

I am using the Oracle 8.0.4 ODBC driver onto Oracle 8.0.4 and 8.0.5 Enterprise editions with partitioning.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Dave Kemp Received on Wed Jul 19 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT