Re: Need some advise on databases...

From: Henrik Dahl <hdahl_at_inet.uni2.dk>
Date: 2000/07/19

Hello Stanly!

"Stanly Lau" <donut_at_mac.com> wrote in message news:B59BC0C1.3810%donut_at_mac.com...
> Hi, I'm a student hoping to find some recommendations for my final year
> project...
>
> 1) Does ODB like ObjectStore handles concurrency(like multi-users) more
> reliable than DBMS?

Not at all. Try to read e.g. "Inside MS SQL Server 7.0" and get some real requirements. Then compare with what's offered by the OODBMS you look for.

> 2) Is object oriented databases more secure than relational databases?
What does "secure" really mean?

> 3) The case scenario that I'm having involves simple online shopping
 between
> customers, products and inventory cater for a small group of clients about
> 100 of them. Which type of database is most suitable in this case? ODB or
> DBMS?

Visual Interdev and SQL Server.

> 4) Any urls/articles on ODB and DBMS on recommending which one fits
> different kinds of situations?

You need is not founded in need of complex singular/multiple inheritance and polymorphic requirements, but probably just in trivial needs. Why not just use a well proven product for a well examined situation?