Is a five day class really worth 2K for a newbie?

From: TN <tedne_at_w-link.net>
Date: 2000/07/18

I realize that this kind of question doesn't lend itself to precise answers but opinions would be appreciated. I was checking out the Oracle website and they advertise a beginning 5-day class called Introduction to Oracle SQL etc., (41010) for $2,000. I have zero experience in DBA but I am comfortable with Boolean searching on Dialog and similar resources. And I do want to increase my skill set and marketability.
So, does that seem like a good investment for a beginner? What about pressing on and getting those OCP pieces of paper on my wall and resume?
Are there better alternatives?

Again I apologize for the vagueness because I know in advance that any answer will have a lot of "It depends." I do want some opinions before I go over and get a sales talk from an Oracle rep. Received on Tue Jul 18 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT