Re: Oracle installation on sun solaris (sparc)

From: attwoody <attwoody_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/18

In article <3971d264.3883173_at_news.flashcom.net>,   edvorkin_at_ridgesystems.com (Eugene Dvorkin) wrote:
> I am new to unix and I need to install Oracle on my Sun solaris 7 bix.
> Does anybody know where I can find detailed instruction how to do
> that? Documentation is too generic for me. I need exactly step by step
> instructions.
> Thank you.
>
> Greetings, Eugene,

  The Oracle installation process can be thought of in three stages:

  1. Pre-installation: preparing the operating system for the installation, making sure there is enough memory and disk, that the appropriate operating system patches have been applied, creating the 'dba' group and 'oracle' user
  2. Installation: Mounting the CD-ROM, and going through the installation process
  3. Post-installation: Checking the install log, and running scripts such as root.sh, and creating the database.

   The Oracle installation manual has _very_ important details you will    need to know for your operating system - the UNIX installs are    pretty much the same, but there are individual details that vary    between Solaris, HP-UX and AIX.

   Pre-Installation

  1. Configure your operating system kernel - set up Shared Memory parameters. The Installation Guide for Solaris will tell you what these are
  2. Create your mount points - these are the directory structures for the software and the database. A good guideline to use is the Oracle Flexible Architecture (OFA) standard that is described
  3. Create the 'dba' group
  4. Create the 'oracle' userid
  5. Login as 'oracle' and set the permissions for file creation, environment variables such as $ORACLE_HOME, $DISPLAY, $PATH, etc

   Installation

  1. Mount the Oracle CD-ROM
  2. Start the Oracle Universal Installer (I'm assuming 8i), and follow the prompts

   Post-Installation

  1. Check the install.log and run the root.sh script
  2. Edit your /etc/oratab file

   This is fairly abbreviated - if you run into problems, and have    specific questions, you can email me at

          attwoody_at_my-deja.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jul 18 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT